May 2016 Favorites

12:47:00 PM

May 2016 Favorite beauty blogger products

Sorry I've been so behind on posts this month. The first of the month is always the most hectic week of the month work-wise for me. After I've worked all day then gotten home and cooked dinner and cleaned up a bit, I try to sit and get some writing done and I'm so tired that I just stare at the computer screen. I think that the heat is also a bit to blame. It really take a lot out of you, ya know. Actually there's a lot going on this month in general. My summer class started yesterday and I haven't read any of the textbook yet. This past weekend was the only weekend I don't have the whole weekend planned, but this weekend there's a party at mi casa so there was a bit of pre-cleaning going on and a family dinner, but I have been trying to get some posts done - I promise.

Fossil purse, Hourglass Illume, Murad Cleanser, Sephora brushes, Living Proof, Too Faced country star lipstick, MAC Eyeshadow x 9, Benefit Brow pencil, Makeup forever foundation, Smith and Cult lipgloss

Anyway, as I started thinking about all the things that I've obsessed about last month, I kind of worried about just repeating April's favorites as I'm still obsessed with all of them, but I finally sat down and focused and started coming up with things that I haven't raved about yet. So without further do here are all the things that I've been loving this past month.

Murad Clarifying Cleanser

Every time I have a massive breakout, I run immediately to Sephora and pick up the Murad Clarifying Cleanser. I think it's the Salicylic Acid content, 1.5%, that my skin reacts so well to because the Time Released Cleaner with 0.5% Salicylic Acid content just doesn't do it. I can immediately feel relief when I'm broken out. Since I started using this cleanser again this year I've been pretty much clear faced. What happens is I clear up and then try something else and break back out. So I think this time we're just going to stick to what works. I've used up two more travel sized bottles so far, because I've been traveling, and I've got a full-sized waiting to be used.

Hourglass Illume Sheer Color Trio

Over the last month, I've talked about the Hourglass Illume Sheer Color Trio a ton. See here and here. It's my new BFF. I've been really into cream products all year long and this all in trio was like the answer to my prayers, seriously. The quality is top notch, the shades flatter my skin tone, and it travels really well. It's got the great solid Hourglass packaging so I don't have to worry about it getting crushed and having three face products in one compact palette is definitely amazing. This is the happiest I have been with an Hourglass product to date, and so far I've been happy with everything that I've used.

mac eyeshadow x 9 dusky rose

While we were docked in Puerto Vallarta in April I got on MAC's website and created an order. I may have been sitting at the bar while I did it but that's not the point. The MAC Eyeshadow x 9 in Dusky Rose palette caught my eye and into the cart it went. When I first saw it in person I wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of it. The colors just weren't as rosy as I thought they would be. And then I started creating eye looks with it and I was sold. Now I use it at least three times a week. I can pretty much use the whole palette for a single look or just a couple shades and I'm always happy with the results. Plus it is travel friendly. The pans are big enough to get your brush in, but the palette is smaller than my phone. I'd highly suggest checking this palette out. I'll be posting a Face of the Day with a look using this palette soon.

makeup forever foundation stick

Something else that I mentioned this month is the Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation. I love a good stick foundation. I think that they are really easy to work with and they usually give a good finish to the skin. It's probably something with how dense it needs to be to be in a solid stick form. I really liked Maybelline's Fit Me Shine Free Foundation except that the staying power is crap so when I saw that Make Up For Ever had a stick foundation I was hopeful as they always have pretty quality product. I have not been disappointed. It is super easy to swipe on, blend and go. I blend with both my fingers or use a buffing brush and I'm happy with the coverage and finish. I don't need powder to set and it still lasts all day. It also lives up to the invisible coverage claim as it looks and feels like my skin. I'll get a little disappointed because I briefly check the mirror and think it's worn off, but then I'll look closer and all my spots and redness are still covered; I just don't look made up. I would say that the coverage is medium but you can build it up for a more full coverage if you need.

Sephora Pro Press Full Coverage Complexion Brush #66 & #67

sephora pro press full coverage complexion Brush #66 & #67

I can't mention the Make Up For Ever foundation with out mentioning the Sephora Pro Press Full Coverage Complexion Brush #66 & #67. I picked these brushes up back in March and I just can't say enough good things about them. I originally picked up the #67 which is like the little sister brush. The short bristles and tear-drop design are perfect for blending in concealer, as it gets in right into the corners around the nose and eyes. It doesn't absorb much product at all so there's less product used and wasted and that's never a bad thing. It makes really quick work of blending in all my concealer. I really hate having to work on blending in my concealer. I reach for this brush to use for concealer every day. I was so happy with it that I picked up the #66. The big sister brush makes super quick work of blending out a denser foundation like the Make Up For Ever stick foundation but I'm not as happy using it with more liquidy foundations. And that's okay; part of what I like about trying different foundations is testing different brushes and techniques to apply it. I will only use this brush with the Make Up For Ever foundation though. All other brushes just seem inferior. I'm curious how it will work with a powder foundation; I'll have to try it out soon. These are really easy to clean also because they absorb so little product. Also a plus are the protective cases that come on these brushes. I feel so much better traveling with them and just on my vanity in general (My cat has been known to think my brushes are toys/tasty). I really wish more brands would sell their brushes with cases like these. Definitely was a great purchase on my part.

living proof split end mender

I am constantly obsessing over split ends. I have a regular six-week trim appointment and usually by week five I'm trying anything and everything that might help reduce the look of split ends. So when I heard about the Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Fresh Cut Split End Mender I knew that I was going to have to try it. Not only does it target my worst hair nightmare, but my BFF, Jennifer Aniston (She doesn't know we're BFFs yet so shhhhh), is the brand's spokesperson and I've always had good results with her products. There's no way to repair ends that are already split, but when used on dry hair, this will sure make it look like you can. I can go from frizzy and tattered looking hair to looking like I just had my hair cut. It's really that good. The other suggestion that Living Proof has made is using it directly after a haircut and then after every wash on wet hair. I did that between my last hair appointments and I have to say that it helped. I didn't have that week or two before my hair cut where I had to hide my hair under a hat because it was just making me so crazy to see all the split ends. I am sold on this stuff and after the deluxe sample is gone, I will be heading to pick up a full-size.

benefit instant brow pencil in medium

I had to mention my little Benefit Instant Brow Pencil as it probably won't last the month of June and as I think about what I want to do next, I just keep thinking about how much I love it and wonder how anything else can compare. That's not usual for me. I'm usually in a hurry to finish products up so I can try the latest and greatest. This is my second one. Kind of a funny story... five or six years ago I went and had my eyebrows waxed and the girl told me that I needed a good brow pencil. She demonstrated what I was going to do with it and told me to get a shade lighter than my brow hair color and explained to my why. I think I went straight to Sephora and the whole way there I was thinking about what I'd get and kept reminding myself a shade lighter so it wasn't too dramatic. I found this Benefit Instant Brow pencil but I picked the shade dark which is an exact match to my brow hair. I even stopped myself twice and tried to convince myself to pick up the medium but I was sold on the dark for some reason. So, after I got it home and used it the first time I was kind of disappointed in how intense my brows looked so I stopped using it for a while. I did finally pick it back up and I found a way to use a light hand so it didn't make me look like Groucho Marx. When I replaced it I picked up medium and we've been besties ever since. I love how soft and easy it is to use. The pencil helps get an exact placement. If I do wander outside my lines a bit I can use my finger to wipe it away but once it sets it doesn't go anywhere until I remove it. I have woken up to beautifully filled brows on more than one occasion. I don't see many people talk about this but I highly suggest it if you're someone who prefers a pencil format.

Smith & Cult Lip gloss in The Lovers

I'm not going to lie a huge part of the appeal of Smith & Cult The Shining Lip Lacquer in The Lovers is the packaging. Isn't that just beautiful? This is a really pretty pinky coral shiny lipgloss. The brand prides itself on this vegan, paraben-free, and gluten free product. The shade is not completely opaque, but on it's own it's a beautiful glossy pop of color. It also feels really nice and hydrating. I usually don't carry lipsticks when it gets hot out because I worry about them melting. So during the summer it's lip gloss and liquid lipsticks in the summer on the go. I like this because it helps my lips from feeling dried out and the color is just so pretty.


too faced lipstick in country star

They say if you love something set it free... In this case, if you love your lipstick wait for the barrel stop twisting up and see how you feel about life without it. In this case, I was pretty distraught. I asked Husband to fix it and he suggested cutting it open and de-potting it. To me that's just not the same. To make matters worse, Too Faced  La Crème Color Drenched Lipstick in Country Star is discontinued. I did however find it on Ebay new in the box and for less than I paid it in the store before it was discontinued. I took the chance and ordered it and it is legit and unused and not melted or anything. It's a beautiful thing.  I love this peachy nude shade. When I first apply it I kind of think it's too light, but it really warms up my face. It also pairs well with so many different lip liners. It's creamy and shiny and feels really hydrating on the lips. I love using this in the warmer months especially when I go really bronzy and a bit smokey on the eyes. I'm so happy I was able to get a replacement. There are two more on Ebay if someone still wants to snatch them up.

fossil preston small purse

I won't spend too much time on the Fossil Preston Small Flap bag because there is an entire post about this beautiful little thing, but it seriously has been life changing. I love how versatile it is and how much crap it holds, while also controlling how much I put in there and saving my back. I get compliments on how nice it looks regularly. I'm pretty rough on purses, but two months and there's not even a scratch or wear mark on it. Super love it!

I've gotten really into tracking my body functions. Strange I know, but hear me out. I found the Clue App by chance and I started tracking my cycle and symptoms back in February. I downloaded the app because I was having some health concerns. I have always thought that I was irregular and unpredictable. I've been tracking my menstrual cycles, cramping, headaches, PMS, fluid discharge, etc. since then and have realized a few things. I'm actually pretty regular. Instead of a normal 28 day cycle, I have lighter periods that are shorter but they are more frequent - 21 days. Also instead of PMS occurring the week before, it usually hits me a day or so before and continues during menstruation. I was concerned that my irregularity was a symptom of something worse, but now that I understand my body better I actually don't have to worry. I always kind of worry about my digestion but I've since started tracking and realize that my soft bowel movements occur during menstruation which is kind of a weird but common anomaly. So instead of worrying about my digestion and I can expect it and I understand why. It's a great thing to understand how your own body works. I always did well in biology class but knowing how bodies work and knowing how my body specifically works are two different things. If all bodies were the same then doctors wouldn't be a thriving profession; we could just read a textbook and self remedy accordingly. The app isn't super girly, which I like. It will start making predictions for you and you can set reminders if you need. It will also send you a monthly report to your email with insights. I really think tracking your body to understand it better is really important.

So hopefully I haven't grossed you out too much. Favorites are one of my most favorite things to do. I just love talking about products have wow'ed me. I'm already starting my June favorites list. Do you have any thoughts or questions about any of my favorites for this month?

What were you favorite products for the month of May? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe