What's in My Weekend Travel Bag

11:52:00 AM


We went on vacation last month and the amount of stuff that went with me was ridiculous. I can't even pretend that it wasn't. I had a full makeup bag, a brush roll, a toiletry bag, a bag with skincare, and a pencil case/bag for lip products. That doesn't include body or hair products. We were going to be gone for anywhere from seven to ten days and I just couldn't imagine not having certain things with me. Last week we traveled for five days for work and I had completely different goals. I wanted my packing to be unencumbered, my bag to be light, and my looks to be easy. My goal was to get all the makeup and skincare in one bag. There is no need for variety here: one foundation, one eye shadow palette, one mascara... you get the idea. So what miracle products got me through my week? Let me show you!


I used the big pocket for skincare, so let's start with that. My daytime routine includes my Clarisonic Mia Fit and Murad Clarifying Cleanser to cleanse. My NUXE Reve de Miel Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm is perfect to prep my lips for the day. I am trying Estée Lauder 'Micro Essence' Skin Activating Treatment* as my first step after cleansing to start rehydrating my face. I apply Murad's Acne Clearing Solution morning and night and credit it almost entirely for my blemish free face. I absolutely cannot live without my Jouer Cosmetics Daily Repair Treatment Oil - this stuff is seriously perfect. I use Caudalie Vinosource S.O.S. Morning Eye Rescue to depuff and prep my eye area and currently I am trying Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream Moisturizer* to lock in moisture. Of course everyday you must finish off with SPF so my Supergoop Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen with Olive Polyphenols SPF 40 is a non-negotiable


At night I use coconut oil to break down my waterproof mascara. Then I use a makeup remover wipes to remove my makeup. I brought a small 10-pack of Ole Henriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths (I picked this up with a cleanser on Black Friday for $10). I use the Clarisonic Mia Fit and Murad Clarifying Cleanser to cleanse at night also. I love to see how much dirt and makeup the Clarisonic removes from my face. Is everyone like that? I follow with the Murad Acne Clearing Solution and Estee Lauder Essence.  I follow with Clinique's Custom Repair Serum* and Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum Synchronized Complex II*. I also moisturize my eyes with Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme Global Anti-Aging Eye Balm. I used up my Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme the night before we left, so I'm trying a deluxe sample tube of Clarins Multi-Active Nuit*. Finally, right before I drift off into a slumber I slather Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask* on my lips so that I wake up with them soft and supple.


I threw a few other necessities in the bag for "just in case." I brought a tin of Nivea Creme in case I get any dry patches on my skin. I always seem to have them; Right now my nose is still healing from a minor cold sore last week and it needs a little extra attention or it starts to look dry and flaky. I got a teeny-tiny vial of Odacite Black Cumin + Cajeput Serum Concentrate in last month's Birchbox. It works as an amazing acne spot treatment. I've only had one blemish to try it on but it cleared it up over night. I figured I better bring it in case my skin gets freaked out over the travel. As a rule of thumb, I never go anywhere without my Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré. This stuff is amazing - so lightweight and moisturizing. It works best on days that I need extra moisture, but I can get a little more oily towards the end of the day so it's not an everyday thing. I mention that I use coconut oil to remove my eye makeup, but it can be used a number of ways: as a lip balm, as a hair treatment/oil, add a packet of sugar and use it as a lip scrub, as a burn ointment, as a moisturizer to sooth eczema, and a shaving cream; just to name a few. Coconut oil is worth its weight in gold in your travel bag. I also always travel with Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels. It's a quick, depuffing pick me up for tired eyes. You never know what travel and your new climate will do to the condition of your lips so a lip scrub it vital. I like the ease of use of E.L.F.'s Lip Exfoliator in a stick form - for $3! Mine is Sweet Cherry scented. Every overnight bag needs cotton pads and Q-Tips so of course I forgot mine and had to stop at the drugstore.



Now that my skin is perfectly balanced we can worry about makeup. For eyes, I brought my little nub of a Benefit Instant Brown Pencil in Medium and chose my Nars Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base to bring as my eye primer. I threw in my Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hr Pencil in Almond Cream and Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick in Rose Taupe. For my eyeshadow palettes I decided to grab my Tarte Tartelette 2 In Bloom Palette and ended up deciding to also include my MAC Eyeshadow x 9 in Dusky Rose (also known as the renamed Macnificent Me palette.) I didn't take any eyeliners, just a small angled brush to use with shadows as a liner. Of course I brought my Tarte Picture Perfect Eyelash Curler, Estee Lauder Little Black Primer and Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes. (I accidently forgot my eyelash curler when we traveled last October. It was a nightmare and that will never NEVER happen again, I assure you.)


For my  complexion, I had to have my Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water* because I use it liberally Every. Single. Day. I also had a deluxe sample size of Becca's Backlight Priming Filter*, so I included that for priming on days I wanted a little more glow. I packed the Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer Corrector in Light/Medium that I just picked up. This one contains the orange/salmon colored corrector for under eyes circles and the yellow brightening corrector. I'm pretty happy with the pigmentation and thin consistency. I probably should have gotten the Fair/Light that had the green corrector instead of the yellow, but I was pleased with how well the yellow worked on discoloration and I will keep using it. I brought my Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation to use. I'm actually really liking this foundation regularly but also thought it would be great for any times that I had to get ready in the car (which I did). It blends out nicely with a buffing brush or with fingers. It was such a lifesaver as it was totally mess free the entire trip. Love. Love! For concealers I couldn't go without my NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla and Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer in Light/Medium. I included the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Airbrush Silk Pressed Anti-Aging Finishing Powder to set my concealer. I had to have the pressed version for travel because it's way less messy and easier to use on the go.

I also brought my NUDESTIX Clean-Up Pencil to do small repairs on the go. You just run the tip of the pencil over the mistake you want to remove and then use a Q-Tip to wipe it off effortlessly. In a bind your finger will also work in the place of a Q-Tip. This is so much easier than trying to wrestle a Q-Tip and a bottle of oily makeup remover in moving or tight quarters. I always travel with this.


So let's just take a moment to discuss the absolute best product in my bag: Hourglass' Illume Sheer Color Trio. This was the only thing that I needed to define and bring life to my face all week long. This trio features a matte cream bronzer in the perfect shade; a peachy, pink, apricot blush; and a perfect luminous highlight. I had used this a couple times prior to this trip and was pretty pleased with it. I was really taken to the idea of a three-in-one compact for ease of travel. But it really wasn't until I used it for five days straight that I fell in love with the quality. The bronzer is not too orange and not to brown. It never looks unnatural regardless of how heavy my hand can get and blends so easily without getting even a little muddy. It really is the perfect shade and consistency for my complexion. The blush doesn't have any shimmer but has the most natural glow. It's sheer but buildable. It's so creamy and blendable that it just melts into your face and it looks like you've always had that natural flush. The highlight is the prettiest champagne gold. The texture is a little bit different than the contour and blush; it is a little drier and kind of feels like a cream to powder texture. This highlight is best used, for me, blended in with my fingertips; and I'm totally fine that that. Just like the other two shades in the palette, it just blends so easily, is easily buildable, and looks so natural on the skin. I was a little concerned when I felt the texture difference that this shade was going to be a dud, but this palette as a whole is a home run. I definitely suggest this if you have a lighter skin tone. I might be debating getting a back up. 

Hourglass' Illume Sheer Color Trio

I also packed my new Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix Setting Spray and Urban Decay Cosmetics All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray* to set and lock my make up look in place. The only thing left to touch on is lip products. I really went light - for me. Sadly, I still didn't use everything I took though, so maybe I'll do even better next time. I was mostly going with easy to wear, easy to carry, and easy to apply so I ended up with mostly jumbo lip pencils and Colour Pop Lippie Stixs. I packed Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint in Elite, Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Rose Brown, Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Berry Brown, a Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick Duo in Musk & Lychee, Colour Pop Lippie Stix in Contempo and Aquarius, both with matching lip pencils. The tubes of lip products that I threw in were Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Lipstick and Lip Pencil in Ex-girlfriend and Fresh Sugar Lip Balm in Tulip.

Not pictured (for some unknown reason) the Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix Setting Spray
After everything was said and done I allowed myself one "extra" item. I threw in my new Colour Pop Blush in Flush'd. I wanted a different tone of blush to have on hand for just a little bit of variety. And, of course it was new so I wanted to play with it. I also always take paper towels and a brush daily brush cleanser. This time I included a travel size of the Cinema Secrets Makeup Brush Cleaner which I picked up in February and have proceeded to buy the value size bottle. It's pretty good.

That's it - everything in my bag! Not to toot my own horn, but I think I did a stellar job packing. I was really happy with what I chose to bring with me. I had everything I needed and did not feel deprived of anything. I had just enough variety, but everything was laid out so that it made getting ready quicker. I used almost everything at least once. I mentioned a few lip products that I didn't use, but that's just the way I am. Other than that I didn't use the Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels or the Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick in Rose Taupe. That's it! Everything else was used and well loved.  What do you think? 

What would you have included or not included?

Do you have any trips coming up? 




*All products notated with the star are sample sized products. I recieved these as a gift with purchase or redeemed store rewards for them* 

**All products were purchased by me for my own purposes. Links to products are to the stores that I actually purchased them from**

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe