Face of the Day: Tried and True

5:00:00 AM


I don't know if it's been because I've been in the whole spring cleaning mode or what but I've been really into using what I have or "shopping my stash" lately. Last weekend I cleaned out my closet and additional clothes storage and then I grabbed a trash bag and got to work with my makeup stash. I went through every single bit of makeup and that I possess - not an easy or quick task by any means. I'm both embarrassed and proud by how full and heavy that 13-gallon garbage bag ended up being. A lot of the stuff was old and really just needed to go away but I've never wanted to part with it before. This time I realized that I wasn't using it and wasn't going to ever use it again - I'm super proud of myself for letting go. But then I sunk into feeling disappointed by how much I had spent on all the product in that bag and how little of it I had used.

By touching everything I own though, I realize how much really amazing stuff I have, and I really want to use it all now. Like: All. Of. It. And, I'm not really one for wearing the same makeup day after day anyway so I've been going though my collection every night and laying out what I want to wear the next day. I wanted to start this series to show what I'm utilizing on the daily and maybe inspire you  to pull out some of the things that have been shoved to the back of your stash.

Eyes first because I do them first. I was a pretty dedicated foundation/base first and then eyes up until a couple months ago. I seem to be the person that sneezes directly after I apply all my mascara. This is just easier to clean all of that off and then apply my concealer and base instead of trying to clean up mascara on freshly applied under eye concealer. I start with Urban Decay Primer Potion in Enigma all over my lids up to the brow. Then I brush out my brows and fill them in with Benefit's Instant Brow Pencil in medium. Then I went to town with the Tarte Tartlette in Bloom palette. Today I wanted to focus on using the bottom row because I haven't really gotten a look I'm in love with, with those colors yet. I started by patting Funny Girl, the shimmery champagne shimmery color, all over the lid up to the crease and then I got a phone call... sigh... I came back and realized that I hadn't finished with Funny Girl on my right eye so I started over. After that I used Leader, the darkest matte color, to define my outer v. I used a bare blending brush to blend the two colors together making it look like they just seamlessly transitioned into one another. Next up, I took a fluffy crease brush and lightly defined the crease and slightly above the crease with Rebel, the next darkest matte color. Then I lightly placed Sweetheart, the light matte pinky-mauve shade, under the brow. Next up, I curl my lashes one at a time applying Estee Lauder Little Black Primer immediately after. Next, I applied one coat of Tarte Lights Camera Splashes. I really like the look, but I think next time I will start with the crease and the work with then lid colors.


According to my health band, I got 1 hour, 1 minute of restful sleep last night - Thanks cat! - so I started off applying my Tarte Colored Clay CC Undereye Corrector in Light‑Medium under my eyes with my index finger to warm it up, after spritzing Smashbox Primer Water all over my face and applying Murad Invisiblur (not pictured) all over my face and neck - something else I'm trying to use up. Today was the last day trying to use up my precious It Cosmetics CC+ Cream in Light. I cut the end off to scrape the last of it out and that last little bit lasted me SEVEN DAYS! Even though I pinched the tube closed, I made myself use it until it was gone so it didn't dry up and go to waste. The last seven days have reminded me how much I love the coverage and finish of this CC cream. I'm going to miss it. But because I really want to use up what I have, I am not going to repurchase it yet - but it's definitely not out of the question in the future. So I blended that all over with a buffing brush, including the undereye area to blend it into the corrector. Then I apply NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla in a V-shape under each eye and around my nose. After blending that in I spritz again with Smashbox Primer Water. While I wait for that to sink in and dry I take my Benefit Eye Bright pencil (not pictured) to the inner corner of each eye and then blend it out with Funny Girl. Using this combination together really makes the inner corner pop all day ling. Now, I take my It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores finishing powder and brush it everywhere I concealed.



Now, I feel like on the home stretch. I applied my MAC Blush Ombre from the Toledo Collection in Kindergarten Red. It takes extra work to get it from your pan to your brush and onto your face. But the color is nice and natural and I'm happy with the staying power. Next I applied my Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in Bronzed to the hollows of my cheeks blending up into my blush, around my hairline and along the jawline and under my double chin. This instantly helps me look sunkissed and 5 pounds lighter. I've been obsessed with this bronzer since I got it. I had applied my Stila Lush Lips Water Plumping Primer to my lips along with my skincare and let it soak in like i would a balm. I haven't seen a lot of really good reviews on it, but I really like it. Allowing it time to sink in, my lips look plump and nourished and I do feel that it helps staying power and prevents bleeding. So, now I'm ready to line my lips with MAC Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in Morning Coffee and then gently buff it in with my finger. Next I filled it in with my Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Stick in Nudist. I'm loving this combination lately! It blends out beautifully, it's glossy, and plays with shading - Dark along the edges and light in the center. I always spritz MAC Fix + as a last step to pull everything together. I think of this as the "Merge layers" function for makeup. It makes everything into one layer instead of 5 or 6 layers sitting on top of each other. If I want it to last even longer I'll add Urban Decay All Nighter or Deslick, (not pictured) but I didn't feel the need to today.

And that's it! Minus my phone call, this took about 20 minutes start to finish! What does your makeup today consist of?


Today's Tidbits:

  • I've been forcing myself to get back into my treadmill routine after vacation. I've found all sorts of reasons not to, but I decided that I needed to on Wednesday. Day 1 was awesome and I felt great after. Day 2 was harder. I really wanted to sit outside and enjoy the weather instead. I spent the whole time convincing myself to go just 15 more minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes. I was only working out for 45 minutes but overall I just felt better after. My foot that had been hurting actually felt so much better after and I sleep better on nights that I've exercised. Still so much work left to do though!
  • My Ulta order showed up today. I took advantage of the sheet mask Buy 1, Get 1 Free sale. I also grabbed a Tartist Glossy Lip Paint in the shade Snap, so I'll be using that very soon! 
  • Expect a Sephora haul and a Colourpop haul soon... seriously after my massive purge, what was I thinking? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe