Face of the Day: Pretty in Poppy

12:59:00 PM


Because it rained all weekend and it's finally sunny outside I decided I wanted my makeup look to reflect what was going on outside and how I was feeling - warm and fully of energy. I decided that I wanted something that really evoked the warmer weather and I was really dying to wear the Estee Lauder Pure Color Sculpting Blush in Poppy Paradise so that's what I went with. This blush is really pretty and even fair girls can rock it with a light hand  - it gives the nicest pop of color to your cheeks that really makes you think spring time.


So to start, as always, I primed my eyelids with Urban Decay Primer Potion in Enigma. Then I sculpted my brows with Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Medium. For my eyeshadow look I decided to use the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Palette. You can get some really versatile looks with this palette but my favorites are the always the subtle shadow looks and that's exactly what I'm going for today since I was going with such a bright blush. To start out I went in with one of my favorite colors, Steady, a pretty rosie peachy shimmery color, and patted it all over the lid lightly for a nice wash of color. Next I took my Sigma E25 blending brush and went into Zone and gently buffed it into the crease for definition. After that was all blended out I went into Skimp with a large shading brush and placed it lightly underneath the brow. I love seeing how that step instantly brightens up the eye, but it's blink and you'll miss the transformation because it's so undetectable once it's buffed in. To finish off the eye look I curled my the lashes one and at a time and applied Estee Lauder Little Black Primer to each lash immediately.  Then, I used one coat of Tarte Lights Camera Splashes to get the glossy black volume and drama.


For the face, I used Smashbox Primer Water to prime and hydrate and then patted Murad 'Invisiblur' Perfecting Shield all over for an extra smooth canvas and to blur pores. After that I tackled my under eye circles with my Tarte Colored Clay CC Undereye Corrector in the shade Light‑Medium, lightly patting it into the area with my index finger. Next I applied Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in my summer tan friendly shade Beige number 30 and buffed it in with my Sigma F80. Then to brighten my face back up I used the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat in Radiant Touch 2 Luminous Ivory under my eyes, down my nose, and around my laugh lines. There's something totally magical in this little click pen that doesn't just brighten. It visually smooths away recessed and dull areas to make them look perfect, but it doesn't really add any coverage. Confused? Yeah, me too; But it works and that's all I care about. After the brightening step I spritz my face again with Smashbox Primer Water. While I wait for that layer to dry I use the Benefit Eye Bright pencil around the tear duct and then used Skimp again to blend out the harsh edges. Next I used It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores to set my under eyes.


And now for the main event. I used the Estee Lauder Pure Color Sculpting Blush in Poppy Paradise to create a nice pop of color to the cheeks. To achieve this I used my super fluffy Real Techniques Blush Brush and tapped off the excess blush before lightly dusting it on my cheeks in an upward motion towards the ear. I think the less-dense brush is the key here as dense brushes pick up more product from the pan. If you apply it too heavy, you can take the same buffing brush you used for foundation and use that to blend out the blush where it's too much. The left over foundation on the brush takes the intensity down a notch and almost gives you the look of using a stain instead of a powder. I've had to use that trick more than I would like to admit. Luckily it works so well. Next I wanted to make sure that the blush didn't make me look too porcelain so I warmed up my face with the Lorac Take Me To TANtego TANtalizer Bronzer Palette. It has two matte bronzers one lighter and one darker - TAN Antonio and TAN Diego - and I two shimmery bronzers, one lighter and one darker - Cabo TAN Lucas and TANta Cruz. I used a fluffy angled brush to buff TAN Diego, the dark matte bronze, in the hollows of my cheeks, under my chin and along the jawline.  I used the dark shimmery bronzer, TANta Cruz, along my hairline to give myself a super tan, sunkissed look. No porcelain doll with bright cheeks here.

Look at this gorgeousness!


I wanted my lips to kind of match my cheeks but not overwhelm my face or take anything away from my poppy cheeks. I went with an easy to wear and apply lip pencil. I love my Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint in Elite. So much in fact that last summer I accidently left it in the car and it was melted beyond recovery. I was at the store replacing it the very same day. The color is a melon/hot coral. It can look intimidating in the tube, but because it's a tint it applies kind of sheer, but opaque enough to cover my natural lip color and it's super glossy so it just makes your lips look full and juicy.

I love the look of bright pops of lips and cheeks colors in the spring time because it makes the face look warm and vibrant. I had read that men are subconsciously attracted to women with rosy lips and cheeks, along with child birthing hips, because it means that they are healthy partners. This kind of makes me think of May Day celebrations with bright flowers, Maypoles, dancing, and of course old fashioned courting. I imagine this look to be what the girls strived for as they were preparing to go attract a suitor. But, I digress... Of course that is such a gross generalization. I'm married and don't need to attract a suitor, but I really love this springy colorful look. I really felt like my mood was enhanced  and there was a spring in my step because of my brighter face.

What do you think of as a spring time makeup look?

Do you have any thoughts or questions about any of these products?


Today's Tidbits:

  • We headed out of town for work unexpectedly yesterday. You might have seen the instagram from my hotel balcony. That's why this post wasn't up first thing and I don't have a lot of pictures up yet. I don't have all the products with me to photograph, which is a shame because there are some great places here to set them up. I'll be getting pictures taken and up when I get home. 
  • I'm also working on a post of what's in my "weekend" bag. I'm really proud of how consolidated my packing was. I didn't over pack at all. Because of that I brought really great products with me, I'm using them all, and still have some variety.
  • I forgot a wide tooth comb and a round brush as well as cotton pads and Q-Tips. When I picked up replacements from CVS I also got myself a new brush with boarshead bristles.I love how smoothing and shiny it leaves my hair. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe