Revisted: Things I'm Trying in January 2016

5:00:00 AM


Okay, so this is a little bit delinquent but better late than never, right? Back in January I posted all about nine things that I was going to try that month. A couple I've followed up on, but others haven't been heard from again. So here's a recap and review of those nine things to see where they've been put in my collection since January.


Spoiler Alert: Items not pictured didn't make the cut.
From left to right: Revlon round brush, Redken One United, Nest Indigo, Clinique Acne Solutions BB Cream, Real Techniques Gel Brush Cleanser, Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, purple Beauty Blender, Tartelette Tease Palette, Make Up Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer. 
Natural deodorant

1. I used this deodorant for 30 days in January and last week I wrote a whole post on my experiences. Using Schmidt's Natural Deodorant in Lavender & Sage wasn't a horrible experience for me, but it also wasn't the most magical 30 days ever. There was a lot to adapt to but in the end we did make nice. Am I still using it? Oh, god no. I'm back to my old antiperspirant and couldn't be happier.  Do I feel like I'm a better, more experienced person for having tried it? Sure. 


whisper, crush, heartbreaker, wink, first kiss, bff

2. The Tarte Tartelette Tease palette  - The pigmentation, the blend-ability, the texture. This palette is on point. This is such a great addition to Tarte's line. I have gotten some really great looks out of this and I probably should use it more. They are such pretty neutral - mauve toned shades. This is in the rotation and has earned a place on my vanity,  but not at the very top because I don't always feel like such plummy looks. The only downside I would say is it doesn't have a true medium tone, matte, transition shade. Both Heartbreaker and BFF are a little too dark and Crush and First Kiss are shimmers. It does make for a couple beautiful eye looks though. Even the package is light and travel friendly. I definitely do not regret this purchase. 



3. The Makeup Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer came into my life right as I needed it. I was really red and broken out at the time (More on that in a bit). After applying this I watched my face just instantly calm down and look human again. I really recommend this primer if you need something to calm down the redness in your face. I definitely don't need this all this time. I usually need something like Benefit Porefessional or Smashbox Photo Finish Primer or Tarte Clean Slate Poreless. I like the mattifying slick feeling and really appreciate pore refining primers. This equalizer primer feels almost more like skincare. It's truly great and I'm glad it's on hand when I need it but for me it is not an everyday primer. 



4. Oh how I love you, Clinique Acne Solutions BB Cream - Let me count the ways. This turned out to be everything that it promised to be, who'd have thunk it?! The coverage is amazing. The finish looks so natural and smooth. I could truly use this BB Cream every single day of my life. I started using it when I was having some serious breakouts and I know it wasn't the reason that my skin cleared up but I did feel better knowing that this wasn't going to make the situation worse. I took just this, my Tarte Amazonian Clay 12‑Hour Full Coverage Foundation, and my Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation on vacation with me last month. For the girl who took four eye shadow palettes in addition to some single shadows and sticks, only taking one BB Cream says something. Alas, I got tan (i.e. sunburnt) and now the Light shade looks like I'm trying to put on white face so now it's on the back burner. So far I'm holding strong and not purchasing any more base products, even this in a darker shade. Wish me luck because I miss this BB Cream. 



5. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper, sigh... Let's just start by saying I suck.  Like genuinely and truly suck. I tried this and it was excellent quality. The rich black pigmentation was there. The ease of use is there. I'm just not a liquid eyeliner girl. I do great with a brush and gel liner or a brush and eye shadow. Something about liquid liner pens just doesn't work with me. I still have this and every once and a while I think I'm going to use it because it is a nice product, but I end up with gel, shadow or nothing instead. I do suggest this for those who enjoy liquid liners. 



6. Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum works really well. I have watched a single acne scar fade over night, but if I use this all over my face I break out like a mother. So I packed the unused bottles I had up and gave them away. I considered keeping the open one for a spot treatment, but it's not worth the headache. So I walked away and never looked back. The hunt continues. For sad. 



7. Redken One United is one of my favorite leave in conditioners. I have silky smooth and soft hair and never have terrible problems with knots or tangles. I'm not 100 percent sure about all 25 benefits as of yet, because that's a lot, but this product is definitely great. One of the things I initially tried was applying it directly to my scalp. I was noticing that my scalp was feeling really dry and itchy. I wasn't getting flakes, but due to my huge dependence on dry shampoo I'm sure that I just regularly depriving my head of any kind of moisture. I keep regular conditioner away from my scalp as much as possible but after I jump out of the shower I go to town spraying this at my roots before blow drying. It has really helped.  It also works great revitalizing dry locks also. I'm definitely happy that I purchased this in the extra large size. 



8. I'm not really 100 percent sure on where I stand with the Real Techniques Gel Brush Cleaner.  Currently I'm using it to soak my foundation and concealer brushes in before I scrub them. I also soak my Beauty Blender in it and use this for spot cleaning my BB, and I'm happy with it. I have gone back to using the Sephora Solid Clean: Solid Brush Cleaner for my brushes and I'm happier with it. It seems to deep clean better and rinse a little easier. The Real Techniques isn't bad but I just don't like it as much. I guess the grass isn't always greener.



9. I never got tired of Nest Indigo all January and a good part of February. I used it religiously and really really liked it. This is such a beautiful warm fragrance - perfect for cooler months. It's notes are everything you can think of  that make you want to run to a fireplace and read a good book: Moroccan tea, cashmere woods, and dark fig. It doesn't smell too musky; It has a clean air to it. Maybe because it has citrus bottom notes. It made me feel beautiful and desirable every single day. And the bottle is gorgeous. I might end up with a full size sometime this year. 

What have you been trying recently? 

What are your thoughts on these products?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe