My Face Mists

3:58:00 PM

I use a lot of facial mists in my routine. Like, a ridiculous amount. I was looking at my vanity the other day and wondered if I needed all of them or if I was just a crazy person. My answer was: yes, yes I do need them. The jury is still out on the crazy thing though. These are pretty vital steps in my routine and because of these sprays I use less makeup in general. So, I thought that I would go through all of my sprays and explain what I used them for and maybe I'd sound a little less cuckoo. But, probably not.

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water is a silicone-free, alcohol-free, oil-free water that is infused with electrolytes. It is designed for use three ways: Creating a light, sheer, even canvas prior to makeup application; setting makeup to lock in your look with added hydration; and spraying on face throughout the day to refresh makeup and restore radiance. I love it for two of those three purposes. I spray it on my face after my last skincare step to prime my face for makeup. Then I use it to set my base makeup. After I apply foundation and concealer I spritz it on and let it dry before I apply any powder. This probably isn't the most necessary step, but I really feel that it helps everything stick around every day. Layering is the key. Then, if I need a refresh or my face feels a little parched this is what I reach for. It makes everything feel revitalized and look refreshed. I use it so much that I go through a ton of it.

Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix is the setting spray that I am currently using; MAC Fix + also serves the same purpose and I've found them both to be about on par with one another. Setting sprays are NOT fixing sprays. Setting sprays are used to serve a single purpose: mesh all your makeup together to create one layer of makeup. In Photoshop you create an image with multiple layers. When you are done, you save the image and it flattens back into one single layer. That is basically what the fixing mist does for your makeup. Think of your foundation of one layer, and concealer another. Blush is another and so on and so forth. After everything is applied you spray this on your face and it makes everything become one meshed layer. When you look at your face after it dries you'll notice that it made everything look smooth and airbrushed. That blush that wasn't quite blended in now looks perfectly blended. Add a little too much powder? The fixing spray fixes the cakiness. It really doesn't  do anything to make your makeup stick around longer though. I do use this also as a medium to apply eyeshadows wet for the foiled look. This medium makes the eyeshadow pop like crazy and last all day. I also use this on a eyeliner brush with an eyeshadow and it creates a really nice liner that doesn't smudge or budge all day. For me, it's easier to apply but with the right shadow it looks like a liquid liner. This is pretty much the #1 essential in my kit.

Urban Decay DeSlick Makeup Setting Spray is the very last step in my makeup routine. This is a fixing spray and it's sole purpose is to make your makeup last all day, especially when added on top of the setting spray. I like this one specifically because it helps oily skin stay matte throughout the day as well as making makeup stay put. If your are at all like me, you spend a good part of your morning routine putting on your makeup and it's frustrating looking at your face in the middle of the day and seeing all your hard work gone. I can't tell you how many bottles of this that I've gone through. On the hottest day of the year, I'll look at my co-workers who are sweating up a storm and look like an oil slick. I, on the other hand, look nice and matte and my makeup hasn't budged. It's pretty awesome. When I use this I basically ignore setting powders except under my eyes. I really like skipping that step, and less makeup is always a good thing. I use this on the regular especially during hot months. I don't necessarily use this every day during the cooler months.  I highly recommend this fixing spray if you have oily to combination skin.

Okay so hear me out on this next one, okay? I got the Avene Thermal Spring Water in an Allure box and immediately thought that I would never use it. Then I tried it out a few times and now I kind of don't want to live without it. I like it for two real reasons. First being the ease of use. I hate bending over a sink and splashing water on my face. A washcloth isn't much less messy and after it's been used even once it can host bacteria. I will wet my Clarisonic and add cleanser. Then I spray this on my face to wet and cleanse away. Afterwards I rinse and spray again to saturate my face. Then I take a clean dry towel and use it to dry my face and make sure that all the soap residue is gone. That is the second reason. Where we live, we have extremely hard water. I'm used to the hard water. If I go somewhere that has soft water, I'm not used to the slick feeling you get when you rinse. It feels, to me, like you can't get the soap off. Hard water though, has a lot of extra minerals and those minerals can severely dry your skin out and leave extra residue. I have used this 1.7oz can for more than a month and there is still quite a bit left in it. Crazy right? I picked up a set of Evian Mineral Water Spray 6-1.7oz cans for $21 during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. That works out to $3.50 a can, which makes me feel better about spending money on canned water. Normally Sephora sell a set of 3 of the 1.7oz cans for $21. There are other uses that the water is good for: post-procedure, during travel, allergic reactions, redness, itching, and after sun. Evian claims that it can also be used to refresh makeup throughout the day, but I'm not quite sure I would use it for that purpose. I can live without this. It's not the most necessary product ever, but I do really like having it.

Add this one to the optional, but super nice to have list: Origins Maskimizer. This is pretty new still but it's basically a primer for a face mask. You saturate your face with this and then apply your face mask like usual. The primer is a Marine Algae Complex that boosts the potential of your mask. It also helps the mask spread over your face easier and more even. And then when you remove it, it makes that easier too. I really do feel like I see a difference when I use my Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask. I feel like it's a little more hydrating. It's a pretty rough mask to remove normally and a little harsh, but this makes the whole process easier on my skin. Imagine what this could do for a hydrating mask. Again, this isn't on the must have list, but I'm really glad that I have it.

A lot of these sprays share claims, so I could downsize if I wanted to. They all do such a great job at what I'm using them for that I don't really want to. Smashbox Primer Water is the most versatile. It really does an amazing job, but as a setting spray Make Up For Ever outperforms it. And for a fixing spray DeSlick is king. So if I had to do without,  I could survive with the Smashbox primer alone, but luckily I don't have to because I would miss them both.

What face sprays do you use? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe