Skin Care Heroes: Face and Lips

10:00:00 AM

I started writing this post as a love letter to my skincare routine a few months ago and immediately I got a really bad break out... And, why wouldn't I? So, I stopped what I was doing and proceeded to eliminate and then gradually re-introduce products that I thought might be causing my problem. I found the culprit and luckily it wasn't anything I was over the moon about or anything that I was mentioning here. The other day I was looking at my bare face and I was noticing how smooth, radiant, and blemish free my skin is. The single zit that I'd gotten on my last period has cleared up and I decided that it's time to get back to this love letter.

I've been using some of the same  products consistently for a while now and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I wanted to share my current favorite skincare obsessions not because my skin is so flawless and beautiful; I've just finally gotten to a point that I understand what works for me and what my skin needs. Aside from the unavoidable skin woes, my complexion has been pretty spot on. Even when I get sick and cold sores pop up or hormones get the best of me and I get a couple crater-like friends, I bounce back a lot quicker.  I owe it all to a selection of products that I'm not only in love with but I genuinely look forward to using.
I am pretty lazy and while I don't actively seek to skip steps, sometimes laying on the couch takes precedent or the bed is just sooo much closer than the vanity. This collection of products have turned it all around for me though. I've seen how well they work and I truly enjoy using each and every product so I don't skip steps. Sure, I have the occasional fall asleep on the couch night still but I when I'm awake I actively choose every night to go through the whole routine of skin care before I hit the pillow for the night and these products are the reason. This is not my entire skin care routine, it's just the tried and true favorites of the bunch.

First Things First: MAKEUP REMOVER
Coconut oil - In my pre-teens I got really into rubbing baby oil into my hair. I loved the sheen and it cut down all the frizz. My mom, however, absolutely could not handle this. She constantly kept sending me to wash my hair out and I think she threw away my bottle a few times. While she was partially correct - baby oil wasn't the best thing to rub into my hair - I was onto something with oils. I spent a long, long time after this phase avoiding any oil on my skin, in my hair, or near my face at all costs. That is until I found coconut oil. Now I use it as a hair treatment and it's the best thing ever to rub on my eyes to remove all the water proof mascara and eyeliners, and other stubborn makeup. I don't lose any lashes in the process and it's truly nourishing. Nothing stings, my face doesn't feel tight or over dry, and it removes every trace of waterproof makeup. Every vanity should have a jar of coconut oil. Just remember to use oil in moderation. There can be too much of a good thing. 
I don't keep the big jar in my bathroom. Instead I pour some into a smaller container and keep it in my vanity. I am way too clumsy to keep a big glass jar in my bathroom. My trick for removing waterproof mascara is to run a clean index finger into the jar to pick up product. Then I gently rub my finger over my lashes until the mascara starts to lift. Then I'll use a makeup wipe or cotton pad with micellar water to remove the rest of my makeup and  finish off my eyes. Next up, I cleanse my face. 

CLEANSER
Clarisonic Mia FIT - This is my newest BFF. It's gentle enough to use twice a day, but oh how I love looking at all the makeup and dirt that works itself from my face and onto the brush. (Does anyone else do that?) It makes cleansing a breeze. I use the highest speed. The clarisonic times out it's cycles and pauses briefly to tell you to move onto the next part of your face. Boths cheeks (roughly 10 seconds each) until the first prompt, chin, jawline, and neck until the second prompt, nose until the third prompt, forehead including my temples until after the fifth prompt, then rinse with a washcloth. It's so easy and I can honestly say my face has never felt cleaner.

Murad Clarifying Cleanser - This is my all time favorite go-to facial cleanser to keep my skin blemish free. I discovered this years ago in a kit after I had a really bad allergic to Proactiv. It was immediate relief then and now every time I stray away from this cleanser I eventually break out and find my way back. It lathers up nicely and rinses away without any residue. The salicylic acid at 1.5% is what keeps my skin clear and blemish free. I chose this over the time release cleanser because the time release cleanser has less salicylic acid content is less at 0.5%, and it doesn't quite do the job. This cleanser is going to be my go-to for as long as they make this cleanser.
Salicylic acid can be a little harsh especially if you aren't acne prone. I only use it once a day. If I cleanse more than once a day I use a mild cleanser or lightly cleanse with a cotton pad and micellar water. You can actually exacerbate your condition if you over cleanse and strip your face. The oil production will jump into overdrive and clog your pores as fast and you clear them out. I have always really liked charcoal scrubs, like Lush's Dark Angels or Coal Face, for clearing out pores and exfoliating. If you don't need an anti-acne cleanser to keep you from looking like you're going through puberty, I can't suggest either of these enough. 

FACE OIL AND SERUM
I really love using an essence after I cleanse. It's a great step to start re-hydrating and nourishing. It really preps your skin to receive all the benefits of your serum and moisturizer.  I am kind of bouncing around a bit currently. If you have upwards of $99 to spend on this step, the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence is pretty amazing. It's really hard to justify spending that kind of moola, but it's a kind of hydration and skin softening like you wouldn't believe. Highly recommend. I will update you if I find a comparable more affordable option.  

Jouer Daily Repair Treatment Oil - Oh, how I love this product. Seriously, it's my favorite product to apply in my daytime routine. I put 3 drops on my fingertips and rub my hands together to warm the product up, then smooth it over my face and neck. It feels so amazing. It instantly rejuvenates and locks in moisture. My face has become so much smoother. There are no bumps or wrinkles to be seen. I just want to keep rubbing my face. It just looks so much healthier, plumped, and radiant. Did I mention radiant? Because seriously I apply this and my face just radiates light from within. Plus it has Rosehip Oil that protects from antioxidants.  Who doesn't need that? I mean just look outside at all the pollution. I will use this as a last step in my skin care over moisturizer or alone as my moisturizer step. If you don't need the extra hydration it is pretty amazing on it's own.
Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair -  I use this serum at night to unlock the fountain of youth. I use the Jouer oil in the morning and this one at night. This is designed to work overnight while your skin is already naturally repairing itself to hydrate, firm, and strengthen your skin. It's a thicker serum that spreads over the skin really nicely. After scrubbing your face this serum instantly soothes and rehydrates. It soaks in rather quickly and doesn't leave any kind of film. You could almost forgo a moisturizer, but with the moisturizers that I use I still don't want to.

EYE CREAM
Odacité Ba+S Eye Contour Baobab Sarsaparilla Serum Concentrate - This one is new to my arsenal, but it's so amazing. It comes in a little bottle with a dropper. You can actually add a few drops of the concentrate to your eye cream and apply or, like I do, put a single drop of concentrate onto my index finger, rub both index fingers together to warm and then lightly pat the serum directly onto my under eyes. After the serum is absorbed I add a light eye cream; I like First Aid Beauty's Eye Duty Triple Remedy. This is a serum but it looks, feels, and smells like an oil. And that's because it's made from Baobab, Sarsaparilla, Palmarosa Neroli, and Lavender oils as well as Vitamins A, E & F and plant sterols. This nutrient rich concentrate targets wrinkle reduction, improved elasticity, puffiness, and dark circles. I have battled dark circles my entire life and no amount of sleep or stress reduction has ever fixed them. Six days into a super relaxing vacation and my under eyes are still as dark as ever. I have been using this for less than a month and I have already seen an improvement to my dark circles. I've actually cut the dark circle corrector out of my normal everyday makeup routine. My eyes are also firm and less puffy. This product is seriously amazing.

Estée Lauder Revitalizing Supreme Global Anti-Aging Eye Balm - One of my most favorite products ever is an eye cream. I remember an episode of  Weeds where Nancy was in a coma in the hospital after getting shot. Her sister made the comment that Nancy loved eye cream and proceeded to apply an eye cream for her. I hope that if I'm ever unconscious for a long period of time someone loves me enough to apply an eye cream for me and please let it be this one. The skin around your eyes is super thin and delicate and easily damaged. It's super important to keep the area hydrated and protected. This skin around your eyes actually ages years faster than the rest of your skin. Seriously, you can forget every other step in your routine but an eye cream is so so important. This is a nice, light cream to moisturize and firm, it really doesn't feel balmy like the name would suggest. I have used this for over a year now. I didn't really have any fine lines or wrinkles to correct, however I do feel like the long term use has made my eyes appear younger and firmer. It also adds just the right amount of hydration. I use this at night before bed so it has all night to soak in and hydrate and firm. You can also use it as a mask if you need the added boost. Gob it on your eyes, let it sit for a couple minutes and tissue off the excess. There is a weird sparkle to this cream. It is only visible if you over-apply though so that's my gauge. Also, I do not understand why all of these brands insist on putting delicate creams in a jar. Jars are magnets for dirt and germs. I always wash my hands thoroughly before I start putting my fingers in jars.

MOISTURIZER
First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydra-Firm Sleeping Cream - I adore First Aid Beauty. I keep a tube of the Ultra Repair Lip Therapy by my computer monitor in the office. I usually have a tube of the Ultra Repair Cream nearby; in my purse, in my desk, on my vanity, because it's a great multi-purpose moisturizer. It's gentle enough for use on your face but also relieves dry cracked hands, elbows, you name it. I need more than hydration from a night time moisturizer, so when I was looking for a night cream that would work as a overnight mask the Hydra-Firm Sleeping Cream from FAB seemed light a no brainer. I use this every night as my last step before climbing into bed. It works to deeply nourish and also combat fine lines and wrinkles. It's a very thick cream. You could stick a pencil in the middle of the jar and it wouldn't fall over. It's a little more difficult to scoop the product out, but once you start rubbing it into your skin it feels like the most luxurious, hydrating, calming thing ever. I wake up in the morning and my skin looks plump and feels as smooth as a baby's bottom. All FAB products are hypo-allergenic and safe for sensitive skin, which is important to me. There's absolutely no scent to this cream. Again my only complaint is that they put it in a jar.

ACNE SOLUTIONS
Murad Acne Clearing Solution  - I use a pea-sized amount of this product after cleansing and it's a huge contributing factor to my clear skin. This is a thin gel with 0.5% salicylic acid content. It goes on as a step 2 treatment to keep acne and redness at bay. For the most part the the cleanser keeps my skin clear, but this product takes care of all the little bumps and redness that I can get on the high points of my cheeks. It took me a long time to realize that these bumps were acne that needed treated. I also haven't needed a green corrector to counteract redness since I started using this treatment again. It really does help. This is a non-negotiable in my routine.

Odacité Bl+C | Black Cumin + Cajeput Serum Concentrate -  I got a small vial of this in a Birchbox and I wasn't sure how much use I would get from it, but one day I got a pimple. I hurriedly put this on as a spot treatment and by morning it was gone. No kidding. It didn't even leave a scar. I was sold. This serum concentrate uses Black Cumin oil control to the spread of breakout-causing bacteria and Cajeput for it's potent antiseptic properties. Now every time I get a pimple, I apply this as my spot treatment as soon as I notice it. I get the amazing over-night results as long as I apply at the first sight of a bump. If I wait until it's a white head it takes longer to subside. If you are more acne prone you can also add this concentrate in with your moisturizer twice a day to keep your skin from breaking out. It takes so little per use that I'm still working on the small vial, so this bottle is going to last me forever. The dropper is also a nice, sanitary perk to the packing. Love. This. Stuff.

LIP CARE
Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask - This thick, not greasy, lip mask is the reason I wake up with pillow soft lips every morning. It doesn't matter how big the puddle of drool on my pillow is. I apply this to my lips after I climb into bed and finish my glass of water, just before I drift off to sleep. I can still feel the balm on my lips when I wake up. I actually wait until morning to use my lips scrub because this stuff actually heals and repairs flakes and cracks. I also have a small tube stashed at the office and the car because this stuff is the only balm that heals and soothes severely chapped lips. I will also smooth this over dry areas around my lips, sexy I know, and it rehydrates those patches just as well. I love that all of Bite Beauty's products are food grade quality so there's no guilt for what I'm accidently ingesting.  Can't live without this. I kind of hyperventilate just thinking about it.

Nuxe Rêve De Miel Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm - I have a a weird thing that I convince myself over and over that I love honey flavored, scented everything. I ordered this Nuxe lip balm based off some pretty high recommendations. The lemon and honey scent was just a plus. Then, just like every other time,  I take a whiff expecting heaven and suddenly I remember. "Oh yeah, honey isn't my favorite." Besides that, this potted lip balm nourishes, repairs, soothes and protects lips. It works great enough that I have gotten over the scent. It's much thinner and lighter than the Bite lip mask and it's perfect to prep my lips for lipstick. It also mattifies slightly and makes your lips look nice and healthy so even if you don't apply lipstick this is really nice. I use this in the morning after brushing my teeth and washing my face. I do not carry it with me due to the pot. It's a little too bulky and it's harder to keep your hands clean on the go.

So those are my tried and true favorites of the skin care world. What are your favorites? 
Do you have any thoughts on these products? Tell me in the comments below. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe